• First Team News
  • General News
  • Match Reports

Stockton thrash Ossett United to move up to fourth in table

Stockton Town picked up their first win in six games and moved up to fourth in the table after a 4-0 thrashing of Ossett United.

Mikey Roberts took his goal tally to 17 for the season after capitalising on a mistake in the first-half, and Jamie Owens hit the post before half-time.

Kev Hayes scored a stunning goal to double Stockton’s lead on 71 minutes, while Adam Nicholson and Shane Henry wrapped up the points within the following seven minutes.

The Anchors have six games remaining in the 2021/22 season, and have opened up a six point gap between themselves and sixth-place.

Manager Michael Dunwell named an unchanged side to the one that drew away at Cleethorpes Town, and it was the Anchors that started the game on the front foot.

M.Roberts capitalised on a mistake from Ossett ‘keeper Ed Hall on 13 minutes, sweeping up the loose ball and striking home.

Jamie Owens went close to making it 2-0 on the 40th minute when his lobbed effort, from a tight angle, sailed over the ‘keeper and hit the post.

The hosts came out after half-time on the ascendancy, and after Kev Hayes and Owens went close, Stockton’s lead was doubled on 71 minutes.

Kev Hayes picked the ball up on the right, cut back onto his left foot and curled delightfully into the far corner of the net.

Two minutes later, substitute Nathan Mulligan whipped a corner into the box, which was powered home by the head of Anchors captain Adam Nicholson.

The hosts scored their third goal in the space of seven minutes, as Mulligan turned provider once again as his corner was glanced home by Shane Henry.

Owens was denied once more by Hall, this time in stoppage time, but it proved to be a comfortable and dominant afternoon from play-off chasing Stockton.

Stockton Town: C.Roberts, King, McWilliams, Portas (A.Conway, 78), Nicholson, Coulthard, Hayes, Henry, Owens, Cooke (N.Mulligan, 70), M.Roberts (Franks, 75)

Subs Not Used: Steel, D.Mulligan

Ossett United: Hall, Gagen, Farrar, Waldram, Cowgill, Beatson, Metcalfe, Wood, Walshaw (Ceesay, 70), Ofoegbu, Turner

Subs Not Used: McGivern, Hardaker, Teale

Goals: 1-0, 13 min, M.Roberts; 2-0, 71 min, Hayes; 3-0, 73 min, Nicholson; 4-0, 78 min, Henry

Referee: Derric Wade

Assistants: Matthew Carroll and Liam Hewitt

Attendance: 484

Words: Andrew McDonnell

Photo: Harry Cook

Scroll to Top