Second half goals steer Anchors past Winterton

Kev Hayes netted a second half brace as Stockton Town beat Winterton Rangers. 

His first was helped in by the aid of a deflection but his second was a superb bicycle kick.

Before the match, a remembrance ceremony took place which was wonderfully observed.

Manager Michael Dunwell named three changes to the side that lost at Liversedge. Captain Adam Nicholson made his return, Stephen Thompson was back following a one-game absence and Michael Fowler made his first start since his recent return.

In the opening exchanges Hayes had the first effort on goal when he forced Nathan Popple into a save.
Another good opportunity went by when a long ball found Mikey Roberts who brought it down into the path of Fowler who fired over.

Winterton had their best chance when a cross found Emmanuel Ilesanmi who saw his header tipped over excellently by Callum Roberts.

Just past the half hour, the Anchors produced a slick move which ended in Mikey Roberts striking narrowly wide.

A huge opportunity went again when Hayes was played through the middle and he was denied one-on-one by Popple. Although the referee did not notice the touch and awarded a goalkick.

Half Time: Stockton Town 0-0 Winterton Rangers

Early in the second half Stockton got the opener when Haase’s cross was met Hayes who saw his header deflect off a Winterton defender and into the net.

Stockton had a few chances to increase their lead. Mikey Roberts found Fowler who struck his effort wide from a tight angle.

Popple was then alert in the Winterton goal to deny Mikey Roberts inside the box.

Fowler then sent an effort wide from the edge of the box.

The sealing goal came five minutes from normal time when substitute Peter Bulmer made an instant impact crossing for Hayes who bicycle kicked it into the net.

That secured a crucial three points for Stockton Town are now two points off leaders Belper Town.

Full Time: Stockton Town 2-0 Winterton Rangers 

Next up is a trip to Sheffield FC.

Stockton Town: C.Roberts, King, Haase, Henry, Nicholson, Coulthard, Hayes, Butterworth (N.Mulligan 80′), Fowler, Thompson (Birtles 90′), M.Roberts (Bulmer 84′)

Unused Subs: D.Mulligan, Frampton

Winterton Rangers: Popple, Aynsley, Sutton, Bryant, Elliot-Bell, Moore, Matthews, Vincent (Ridley 61′), Grimes, Ilesanmi (Nicholson 78′), Ellender (Hill 87′)

Unused Subs: Collins, Hellewell

Goals: 1-0, 48 min, Hayes; 2-0, 85 min, Hayes

Attendance: 597

Words: James Cartwright

Photo: Harry Cook

Scroll to Top