Roberts hat-trick fires Anchors to victory at Yorkshire Amateur

Mikey Roberts scored a hat-trick as Stockton Town recorded a 10th league win in a row by thrashing Yorkshire Amateur 5-2 in torrential weather.

Nathan Steel scored twice in the first half, with Callum Roberts saving a penalty, as Mikey Roberts netted two goals in the second half to complete a hat-trick late on.

The victory means Michael Dunwell and JD Briggs celebrate 250 wins in charge of Stockton Town, racking up the total in an impressive 357 matches.

Dunwell named an unchanged side to the one which thrashed Pickering Town 6-0 a fortnight ago.

The opening fifteen minutes proved to be a battle with the difficult conditions meaning neither side could play their best football early on.

Kev Hayes had the first real opportunity on goal, skipping past a full-back before striking wide on the angle.

Steel broke the deadlock after 20 minutes, prodding home from Mikey Roberts’ pass.

The hosts were awarded a spot kick just five minutes later, but Callum Roberts dived brilliantly to his left hand side to palm away Cartman’s penalty and preserve Stockton’s lead.

The Ammers did level on the half-hour mark, Crawford’s corner viciously curled in the wind, looping over Callum Roberts and into the net.

Mikey Roberts restored Stockton’s lead three minutes later, latching onto Liam Cooke’s pass to turn the ball home.

The hosts were lucky to receive just the one booking in the first half, with Crawford putting in a potentially nasty challenge on Tom Portas.

Steel added his second of the first half by slotting home past Max Culverwell as three goals were scored in the space of nine minutes.

Lewis King went close to adding a fourth goal in injury time in the first half, his low shot was claimed by Culverwell.

Cooke had a great chance to increase the Anchors advantage, but stroked wide inside the penalty area when one-on-one.

Yorkshire Amateur pressed high as they looked to earn a way back into the game, and were thwarted by two brilliant blocks by King, first to clear off the line then deny Ross Duggan.

The hosts reduced the deficit as Cartman slotted home and he went close to levelling just moments afterwards, curling wide of the far post.

Hayes forced a save from Culverwell before Mikey Roberts restored Stockton’s two goal lead with fifteen minutes to go, converting King’s sweeping cross from 10-yards.

The game became end-to-end in the final moments and Mikey Roberts completed his first treble in nearly three years with a great finish inside the area.

The win sends the Anchors back up to third, seven points inside the play-offs with 12 games remaining.

Yorkshire Amateur: Culverwell, Smith, Gordon, Sharry, Beaston, Fishley, Priestly, Dean, Duggan, Cartman, Crawford

Subs Not Used: Jayden, Cassius-Gill, Jebson-King

Stockton Town: C.Roberts, King, McWilliams, Portas (A.Conway, 84), Nicholson, Coulthard, Hayes, Henry, Steel (Owens, 77), Cooke (N.Mulligan, 74), M. Roberts.

Subs Not Used: D.Mulligan, Franks

Goals: 0-1, 20 min, Steel; 1-1, 30 min, Crawford; 1-2, 33 min, M.Roberts; 1-3, 39 min, Steel; 2-3, 68 min, Cartman; 2-4, 75 min, M.Roberts; 2-5, 86 min, M.Roberts

Referee: Michael Trevethan

Assistants: Matthew Langdon and Fabio Greenwood

Attendance: TBC

Words: Jamie Beattie

Photo: Harry Cook

Scroll to Top