• Home
  • Whitley Bay v Stockton Town FC

Whitley Bay v Stockton Town FC

  • FA Vase

    Sat, Sep 24, 2016,
    Whitley Bay
    Stockton Town FC


[rev_slider slider25]



Stockton Town moved into the 1st round of the FA Vase, with a 2-0 win at four time Vase winners Whitley Bay. A fantastic result for us against one of the giants of non league football. The starting eleven saw Chris Stockton and James Crossman come into the side that beat Crook Town on Wednesday evening.

Stockton were in control of this game from the start, when Kallum Hannah forced Whitley Bay goalkeeper Tom Flynn to tip the ball over the bar in the opening stages with a magnificent left foot effort from the edge of the box.

Adam Nicholson headed over from close range, and Chris Stockton saw his shot cleared off the line by Ross Wilkinson as Stockton laid siege on the Whitley goal.

It took 25 minutes before Whitley Bay had their first shot at goal, Callum Patton forced a fine save from Michael Arthur. This was a rare excursion downfield by Whitley with Michael Arthur in Stockton's goal having little to do.

Just before the break, Ryan Keltie had to clear a loose ball off the line with Kallum Hannah in close proximity, waiting for any mistake, but he dealt with it to send the teams in all square at half time.

Stockton had to defend from the start of the second half, they restricted Whitley to long shots and they dealt with a succession of early corners for the home side.

After that Stockton regained control and took the lead after 48 minutes, after winning a corner, Matthew Garbutt sent the corner to the far post were Adam Nicholson sent a bullet header past Flynn.

Kallum Hannah hit the post, before another attack resulted in the second and decisive goal, some great combination play down the left involving Alan Cossavella, Chris Stockton and Fred Woodhouse saw Woodhouse play a great low ball into the box where Joe Scaife Wheatley slid in to double the lead in the 69th minute.

The best Whitley could muster as they tried to get back in the game, was a Alex Kempster shot that Arthur dealt with.

With nothing to lose Whitley bay had 3 stoppage time shots that went wide in the 6 minutes the referee added on but Stockton held out easily to record a memorable and well deserved victory.

Scroll to Top