• Home
  • Willington AFC v Stockton Town FC

Willington AFC v Stockton Town FC

  • EBAC Northern League Division 2

    Wed, Aug 24, 2016,
    Willington AFC
    Stockton Town FC


[rev_slider slider20]



Stockton Town recorded their first ever double in the Northern League, after a 6-0 opening day win at home, Stockton completed the double with a 2-1 hard fought win at Willington.

But this win came at a cost Fred Woodhouse, twisted his ankle, and looks like he will be out of action for a couple of weeks at least.

Stockton were without Kallum Hannah for this game, so Sonni Coleman replaced him, Tom Coulthard, Jimmy Ward and Tony Johnson all returned to the starting line up.

Willington were happy pumping high balls downfield, for their young forward line to run onto.

It was from one of those hopeful long balls that Willington scored from, in the 13th minute a clearance downfield wrong footed the Stockton defence and Michael Brown ran 20 yards with the ball before fired a low shot past Liam Jordan in Stockton's goal. This was against the run of play as Stockton looked the most likely team to score. Adam Nicholson had a header cleared off the line, Chris Stockton flashed a shot wide, Matthew Garbutt sent a free kick from outside the area inches wide and Sonni Coleman had one disallowed for offside before the equaliser arrived.

Stockton were back in the game just before half time, Sonni Coleman held the ball up well on the edge of the Willington area, turned and layed the ball into Chris Stockton who was up-ended just before he could get his shot away.  Will Black, the referee pointed to the spot and up stepped Tom Coulthard to  calmly fire the ball into the net after 41 minutes to send the teams in at half time all square.

Stockton continued to press for another goal, but they were rocked with the injury to Fred Woodhouse after the hour mark, when he went up to head the ball but twisted his ankle on landing, after lengthy treatment he eventually hobbled off the field to be replaced by Stephen Roberts.

A scare for Stockton came after 63 minutes, a back pass to Liam Jordan, saw the Stockton keeper race outside his penalty area, chased by Michael Brown, in an attempt to clear the ball Jordan fouled Brown, the referee showed the keeper a yellow card. Willington's free kick was charged down by the defensive wall and the danger came to nothing.

It was all Stockton now, and they got their reward after 68 minutes, after winning a corner Matthew Garbutt sent his cross over, it seemed to deceive everyone except Tom Coulthard who volleyed the ball into the net from 8 yards.

Stockton should have won by more in the end and  the best of the late chances fell to Chris Stockton and Joe Scaife-Wheatley both players seeing their shots saved by Middleton.

Another extremely tough game but 3 points gained.

Scroll to Top