• Home
  • Whitby Town FC v Stockton Town FC

Whitby Town FC v Stockton Town FC

  • Pre Season Friendly

    Sat, Aug 29, 2020,
    Whitby Town FC
    Stockton Town FC


Stockton Town ended their pre-season campaign on a high with victory at Whitby Town.

First half goals from Mikey Roberts and Nathan Mulligan gave the Anchors another chance to down a side from two levels higher.

The home side gave them something to think about when Liam Cooke pulled a goal back.

However, the Anchors had enough to cap off pre season with back to back wins.

Both sides entered the game on the back of a win. The Anchors had put up an impressive display in a 4-1 win over South Shields, while Whitby had claimed a convincing 4-0 win at Guisborough Town.

The wind and rain resulted in a miserable setting for the game. The Stockton fans day was instantly brightened though when they took an early lead after two minutes. A lovely ball from the left by James Risbrough was turned in by Roberts at close range.

Whitby got their first effort on goal after 15 minutes when Jacob Hazel fired a shot over from outside the area.

The Seasiders had another effort when Adam Nicholson's half clearance was met by Mackenzie Heaney who saw his strike deflect wide. From the resulting corner, Dan McWilliams was forced to head a chance off the line.

The Anchors were unlucky not to make it two when good play on the left lead to an opening for Jonathan Franks who saw his low shot hit the post and roll agonisingly across the line. The ball then fell to Nathan Mulligan who struck wide.

Whitby got in behind through Marcus Giles but McWilliams was on hand to challenge and force a corner. From the corner Whitby came close from a header that was glanced wide.

They then had another good opportunity when Giles rifled a shot against the post from just outside the box.

Shortly before halftime, Stockton had their second when a Max Craggs free-kick from the left pinballed around before Mulligan slotted home.

That meant the Anchors went into halftime with a comfortable two-goal lead.

The second half saw a number of changes for Stockton as Dale Mulligan, Jordan Robinson, Fred Woodhouse, Cieran Jackson and Jamie Owens all came on.

It took more than twenty minutes for anything noteworthy to happen. Whitby squandered a chance to pull a goal back when Bradley Fewster was played through but he shot straight at Michael Arthur.

The Seasiders then did pull a goal back moments later when Cooke profited after the Anchors failed to clear their lines.

Stockton nearly resorted their lead shortly after when a purposeful run and low ball from Franks was diverted behind by Woodhouse.

Whitby had a few half chances at the end of the game but were unable to conjure up an equaliser.

The Anchors focus now shifts to the real stuff- starting with Wednesday night's FA Cup Extra-Preliminary tie at home to Shildon.

Stockton Town XI: Arthur, King, McWilliams, Henry (N.Mulligan 62') , Nicholson (D.Mulligan 45'), Coulthard, Franks, Craggs (Robinson 45'), Roberts (Owens 45'), N.Mulligan (Woodhouse 45'), Risbrough (Jackson 45')






Scroll to Top