Captain Nicholson nets late winner at North Ferriby

Stockton Town struck late again to bring all three points back from North Ferriby.

Adam Nicholson tapped home a scrap inside the box to break the deadlock deep into the 90 minutes.

Michael Dunwell made one change going into the game, bringing Stephen Thompson back into the starting lineup in the attacking midfield role.

North Ferriby had a good chance to take the lead within the opening minute on a quick counter attack, but the Anchors defenders recovered well to nullify the opportunity.

In a quiet first half, neither side had enough of the ball to force opportunities. Kevin Hayes had the Anchors first attempt of the game in the 12th minute when he rose for a header but couldn’t find the accuracy to place it towards goal.

North Ferriby found themselves in another good position on a counter attack, but Josh Baggs stood firm to defend a 1v1.

Stephen Thompson had the Anchors best opportunity in the 29th minute when he was left in space after a weak clearance, but the home defenders recovered well to deflect his shot over the crossbar.

Just before the interval, the Anchors nearly found an opener. Kevin Hayes teased a deep cross towards the back-stick, which goalkeeper Tom Jackson managed to poke away from danger before Adam Nicholson could power a header in.

Half-time: North Ferriby 0-0 Stockton Town

Nathan Harker was called into action for the first time in the game in the 56th minute, when he stopped a dangerous chance with his feet.

Josh Baggs was a hero for Stockton again as he reacted quickly to a deadly cross across the box which looked destined to be tapped in at the back stick.

Kevin Hayes called the hosts defenders and goalkeepers into action with a couple of shots which were blocked, and then saved by the goalkeeper within the space of a couple of minutes.

Despite a flurry of chances of both sides, the game looked as though it was heading for a goalless draw, that was until the 89th minute when a corner was met by Shane Henry whose effort was blocked on the line, but the ball fell to Adam Nicholson who tapped in to delight the many travelling fans.

The hosts piled on the pressure in added to force an equaliser, and everyone in the ground thought they’d managed it when a goalmouth scramble couldn’t break the Stockton wall on the line and a final chance smashed the side-netting.

The Anchors managed the remaining minute safely in the opposition corner and secured a massive three points in Humberside.

Full-time: North Ferriby 0-1 Stockton Town

The victory sees Stockton keep their six point lead at the top of the table ahead of next weekends game against Ashington at the MAP Group UK Stadium.

Stockton Town: Harker, King (Painter 48’), Baggs, Henry, Nicholson, Coulthard, Hayes, Butterworth, Fowler, Thompson (Portas 70’), Roberts (Sweet 70’)

Unused subs: Beddow, D.Mulligan

North Ferriby: Jackson, Johnson, Walters (Wallis 86’), Kirk, Tilsley, Roma, Berchil, Tarbotton, Hinsley (Corner 57’), Lovick (Dixon 57’), Whitley

Unused subs: Exall, Snelgrove

Goals: 0-1, 89 min, Nicholson

Attendance: 612

Words: Jordan Clarke

Photo: Harry Cook

Scroll to Top