Anchors return to winning ways at Carlton

Stockton Town ended March with a victory on their debut trip to Carlton Town. 

A first half penalty from Kev Hayes and a late strike from Matty Tymon brought back a crucial three points from Nottinghamshire.

Michael Dunwell named two changes from the team that faced Brighouse last weekend. Dale Mulligan came in for Louie Hall and Cameron Painter replaced Isaac Walker.

Stockton started on the front foot and had some early chances inside the opening two minutes. Tymon hit the post from the edge of the area before another effort was palmed away by Michael Emery for a corner. The resulting corner saw Tymon head wide.

The Anchors had another corner minutes later when Hayes’s effort was deflected out. The resulting corner did come to nothing but they had started well.

Despite the bobbly pitch, they were able to get down and put some good moves together.

Shortly after the quarter hour mark, the breakthrough came when Stockton were awarded a penalty. Hayes stepped up and dispatched into the bottom right corner.

Carlton came back as the half wore on, Dan McWilliams had to prove astute defensively to deny an effort on goal and they had a great chance through Kyle Dixon but he dragged his effort wide from just inside the box.

The second half proved to be a quiet affair as neither team could keep the ball or test the opposition goalkeeper.

Tymon had a half volley over the bar when he tried to profit on Kyle Tomlin’s missed clearance.

For the hosts, Dixon had a shot that went just wide.

There was a real positive for the Anchors when Mikey Roberts made his return for the first time early February by replacing Hayes.

He then had an impact on Stockton’s sealing goal by keeping the ball in play before finding Beddow who saw his effort saved but Tymon was there to finish.

That secured Stockton’s first win in over a month and closed the gap on second-place Hebburn Town.

Stockton Town are back at home next Saturday when they host Tadcaster Albion.

Carlton Town: Emery, Stewart (Sargent 65′), Tomlin, Brown, Freeman, Holmes, Dixon (O’Connor 74), Marzano (Wilson 80), Troke, Davie, Howes

Unused subs: Stainsby, Elliott

Stockton Town: C.Roberts, King, McWilliams, Portas, D.Mulligan, Coulthard, Hayes, (M.Roberts 89), Butterworth, Tymon, Painter, Thompson (Beddow 77)

Unused subs: N.Mulligan, Hall, Walker

Goals: 0-1, 20 min, Hayes; 0-2, 90 min, Tymon

Attendance: 224

Photo: Ethan Fordy

Words: James Cartwright




Scroll to Top