Anchors lose out on the coast

Stockton Town’s unbeaten run came to end as they were beaten 1-0 at Bridlington Town.

James Martindale’s goal at the stroke of half-time was enough for the hosts to earn their first win over the Anchors in five attempts.

Michael Dunwell named two changes to the side that drew 1-1 with Grantham Town. Nathan Mulligan replaced the suspended Glen Butterworth and Elliott Beddow came in up front ahead of Matty Tymon.

The game started in quiet fashion with only opportunity a N.Mulligan volley that sailed over the bar after five minutes.

Bridlington had a chance when a good cross from Matty Dixon was flicked wide by the head of Lewis Dennison.

The Seasiders had the game’s best chance from a corner when one from the right found Martindale. He found James Williamson who laid it back to Martindale to narrowly strike wide.

Stockton had a golden opportunity to take the lead before half time when goalkeeper James Hitchcock under pressure gave the ball straight to Beddow. He was then closed down by Dixon and his strike was eventually blocked.

The Anchors were instantly made to rue that when Bridlington took the lead. Fine work down the right from Ali Aydemir saw him cross for Martindale at the back post who dutifully headed home.

Six minutes into second half both teams had chances. Isaac Walker had an effort blocked by the feet of Hitchcock. Then, at the other end, Dennsion sent a curling shot wide of the right hand post.

Stockton then had two half chances to score. First Stephen Thompson had an effort from the edge of the box that went narrowly over the bar. Then N.Mulligan had an effort trickle past the post after a cut back from Thompson.

Henry Popple had to remain alert to keep the Anchors in the game and he did with a double save from a corner. He first denied a header before repelling the rebounded effort.

In the final 25 minutes, Stockton created a few chances. Walker saw his effort comfortably held by Hitchcock after he had cut in.

Elliott Beddow had a shot blocked and N.Mulligan had an effort that went wide.

Bridlington perhaps could have had a clinching second goal when a corner found Eddie Rogerson but it was cleared off the line by Tom Coulthard.

That was the last significant action of the game as Bridlington held on for victory.

Stockton now have a two-week break before they return to action with a home match against Brighouse Town.

Bridlington Town: Hitchcock, Dixon (Bulless 46) Sutton, Rogerson, Williamson, Lewis, Aydemir, Griffin, Dennison, Martindale (Algar 79), Broadley (Warne 67)

Unused subs: Norfolk, Flowerdew

Stockton Town: Popple, King, McWilliams, Portas, Hall (D.Mulligan 80), Coulthard, Hayes. N.Mulligan (Painter 78), Beddow, Thompson (Tymon 68), Walker

Unused subs: McDonald

Goals: 1-0, 45 min, Martindale.

Referee: Ryan Boult

Attendance: 260

Photo: Harry Cook

Words: James Cartwright


Scroll to Top