Anchors lose narrowly at Liversedge

Stockton Town ended with ten men as their unbeaten run was halted by Liversedge.

Alex Wollerton put Sedge ahead inside ten minutes before Nicky Walker doubled their lead from the penalty spot.

The Anchors were given a lifeline at the end of the first half when Michael Sweet netted.

Liversedge restored their two goal advantage when Walker completed his brace.

Stockton pulled another back through Kev Hayes to give themselves a chance.

The Anchors pushed until the end but were caught on the break which forced Cam Painter to bring down Walker who was primed to complete his hattrick. That saw Painter sent off.

Michael Dunwell was forced into three changes for the game. Jonny Haase came in to replace the suspended Dan McWilliams. Dale Mulligan was in for Adam Nicholson who was away. Shane Henry came in for Stephen Thompson.

Liversedge took the lead in the 8th minute when Wollerton got two opportunities. First Callum Roberts denied but he tucked in the rebound.

Shortly after the half hour mark Stockton almost had an equaliser but Hayes header from Lewis King’s cross rolled across the line.

They were made to rue that miss minutes later when Liversedge were awarded a penalty after Callum Roberts brought down
Simon Heslop.

Walker stepped and made no mistake to increase the home side’s lead.

Stockton looked to be heading into the second half with a mountain to climb but Sweet was alert and managed to round the goalkeeper before tucking home.

Half Time: Liversedge 2-1 Stockton Town 

Michael Fowler came in the second half and had an early opportunity when he tested Jordan Porter with a strike from the edge of the box.

Stockton were given a huge let off when Walker got the better of Dale Mulligan before he rushed through on goal but his effort struck the bar.

Stockton wouldn’t be lucky a second time when Walker did add a third. A cross in from Wollerton was missed and it came out to Walker who emphatically fired in.

Then there was a hint that Stockton could get back into the game. A bit of neat play lead to a Mikey Roberts volley which he sent just wide.

Then Dale Mulligan, who was playing as a make-shift striker, got an opening on the edge of the box which he drove wide.

The Anchors persistence was rewarded when Mikey Roberts clipped a ball up which was met by Hayes who headed in.

Stockton pushed for the leveller and camped inside the Liversedge half. They were caught by the troublesome Walker who seemed destined to complete his hattrick. He was hauled down by Painter who was given his marching orders as a result.

Liversedge held on for the three points and condemn Stockton to their first league defeat since mid September.

Full-Time: Liversedge 3-2 Stockton Town

Stockton are back in action next Saturday when they host Winterton Rangers.

Liversedge: Porter, Portman (Walton 85′), Hardacre, Toulson, Tarangadzo, Harris, Heslop, Stockdill, Blair (Raw 46′), Walker, Wollerton

Unused Subs: Hartley, Jagne

Stockton Town: C.Roberts, King, Haase, Henry (N.Mulligan 62′), D.Mulligan, Coulthard, Hayes, Butterworth, M.Roberts, Painter, Sweet (Fowler 46′)

Unused Subs: Thompson, Frampton, Birtles

Goals: 1-0, 8 min, Wollerton; 2-0, 36 min, Walker; 2-1, 45 min, Sweet; 3-1, 60 min, Walker; 3-2, 80 min, Hayes

Attendance: 211

Words: James Cartwright

Photo: Harry Cook


Scroll to Top