Anchors Knocked Out Of FA Trophy By Bootle

Stockton Town were knocked out of the Isuzu FA Trophy in the second qualifying round at the hands of Bootle. 

A goal on either side of the break from Sam Burns and Owen Robinson secured progression into the next round for the Bucks.

Michael Dunwell made one change from last week’s defeat at Pontefract Collieries, bringing in Mikey Roberts for Elliott Beddow on the wing.

Despite the long journey from Merseyside, it was the visitors who started the game the stronger side, and had a brilliant opportunity to take the lead within the first 10 minutes when Andy Scarisbrick met a scuffed clearance and his attempt, which beat Callum Roberts, was heroically met by Adam Nicholson on the line. 

The Anchors grew into the game, and tried their luck from distance on a number of occasions following Bootle’s early scare, with Glen Butterworth coming very close to an opener with a rocket from outside the box just going over the crossbar.

Bootle had another fantastic chance to take the lead in the 21st minute when a cross from the right-wing found a white shirt in the box, but the Bootle attacker somehow fired his close-range effort over the bar.

But the visitors made their opportunities count in the 40th minute, when a powerful shot from inside the box was saved by Callum Roberts, but the rebound fell to Sam Burns who tapped in to give Bootle the lead before the break.

Half-Time: Stockton Town 0-1 Bootle

Despite a quiet opening to the second half, after 62 minutes Bootle managed to find an opening in behind the Anchors back-line, which resulted in Owen Robinson curling his one-on-one attempt past Callum Roberts to double the Bucks’ lead.

Stockton’s best chance of the game came in the 83rd minute, when Kevin Hayes’ brilliant work on the left-wing created space for a right-footed shot, which was fantastically met by Owen Mooney to tip it wide of the post. 

Mooney was on hand again in stoppage time, when Dale Mulligan connected with a half-volley which the Bootle shot-stopper reacted quickly to keep out.

Full-Time: Stockton Town 0-2 Bootle

The Anchors are at home again next week as Northern Premier League East new-boys North Ferriby make the trip up to Teesside in league action.

Stockton Town: C. Roberts, King (N. Mulligan 44′), McWilliams, Butterworth, Nicholson, Coulthard, Hayes, Painter, Sweet (Beddow 57′), Thompson, M. Roberts (D. Mulligan 70′)

Unused Subs: Haase, Johnson, Frampton, Bulmer

Bootle: Mooney, Cooper, Lomax, Moore, Earl, Carney, Robinson, Reeves, Burns (Buxton 83′), Scarisbrick (Legge 75′), Hodkinson (Fawns 70′)

Unused Subs: Ashton

Photo by: Harry Cook

Words by: Jordan Clarke

Attendance: 365

Scroll to Top