• First Team News
  • General News

Anchors held to goalless draw by Liversedge

Stockton Town were held to a goalless draw with 10-man Liversedge in a cagey affair at the MAP Group UK Stadium. 

It is the first time the Anchors have ever drawn 0-0 at the MAP Group UK Stadium, and just the second time in the club’s history they have been held to a goalless draw at home. 

Liversedge captain Jack Stockdill was sent off two minutes from time for a second bookable offence after a dangerous foul on Tom Coulthard. 

The point sees the Anchors move up to fourth in the league table, with a trip to Cleethorpes Town coming up next Saturday. 

Manager Michael Dunwell made one change to the side that was held to a 3-3 draw with Sheffield FC, with Jamie Owens coming in for Nathan Steel. 

The first 20 minutes were a tight affair, with only a flurry of corners from the visitors noteworthy in the first quarter of the game. 

Owens had the first shot on target in the game, his effort fizzed wide of the post from inside the area. 

Liam Cooke’s free kick from wide was partially cleared into the path of Kev Hayes whose strike was saved. 

It was one of very few openings in the first half, Tom Coulthard’s header was close to being the opening goal, his effort was saved by Max Dearnley. 

Ben Atkinson and Lewis Whitham had Sedge’s only real half chances of the half, neither of which tested Callum Roberts. 

Oliver Fearon struck wide in a crowded penalty area as Nicky Walker’s corner found the striker. 

Coulthard, who was outstanding throughout, headed just wide from Cooke’s free kick early on in the second-half. 

The Anchors could have stolen all three points late on, Mikey Roberts intercepted the ball on the edge of his own penalty area, broke forward on the counter attack and overhit his through ball with Owens in a promising one-on-one position. 

Stockdill was sent off with just minutes remaining, as the Anchors pushed forward, the visitors held out to earn a point. 

Stockton Town: C.Roberts, King, McWilliams, Portas, Nicholson, Coulthard, Hayes, Henry, Owens (Steel, 83), Cooke, M.Roberts 

Subs Not Used: A.Conway, D.Mulligan, Franks, N.Mulligan 

Liversedge: Dearnley, Raw, Smythe, Daly, S.Harris, K.Harris, N.Walker (P.Walker, 79), Stockdill, Fearon (Bacon 65), Atkinson, Whitham 

Subs Not Used: Steers, Tarangadzo, Porter 

Referee: Stephen Dial 

Assistants: Richard Rowe, Stephen Birkett 

Attendace: 755 

Words: Jamie Beattie 

Photo: Harry Cook 

Scroll to Top