Anchors held by Grantham Town

Stockton Town ended with ten-men but were held at home by Grantham Town. 

The Anchors took the lead through a debut goal from Isaac Walker but Grantham were awarded a penalty when Glen Butterworth was given his marching orders for pulling down Kieran Hayes. Damien McCrory stepped up and levelled for the Gingerbreads.

Michael Dunwell named four changes to the line-up that drew 1-1 at Dunston UTS as Henry Popple returned in goal back from illness along with Kev Hayes. Matty Tymon was back up front and there was a debut for the aforementioned Walker.

The opening ten minutes saw half chances for both teams. Nathan Tyson had the game’s first effort when he dragged a shot wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Stockton then had an effort when Walker cut inside and sent a curling strike straight at Dan Haystead in the Granham goal.

Popple was then forced into action when he made a brilliant reaching save to deny Tyson from heading the visitors into the lead.

O’Grady again came close when he headed narrowly wide after he was unmarked in the penalty area.

Tempers flared when Tyson and Tom Portas got into an altercation which saw both players booked.

On the quarter hour mark, Stockton came the closest to taking the lead when Walker went on a sensational run before firing his shot against the crossbar.

The game settled until shortly before half-time when Walker found Tymon in the area but he was denied by Haystead.

Stockton had the first chance of the second half when Hayes dug out a cross to the far post which was headed on goal by Stephen Thompson but Haystead was there to thwart him.

Moments later, the Anchors had the lead when Walker brilliantly controlled the ball before he deftly guided it into the bottom corner.

Stockton went for a second and came close when Tymon showed excellent control from a Dan McWilliams clearance and brought in Hayes who curled a shot towards the far corner that was palmed away by Haystead.

From nowhere, Grantham had a route back into the match when Kieran Hayes found himself through on goal but the chasing Butterworth brought him down. The latter was sent off and Grantham were given a penalty. McCrory stepped up and found a way past Popple to level for the Gingerbreads.

The game ended level with the only action in the remaining action in the final 15 minutes an effort from Stockton’s Hayes from 30-yards which sailed narrowly over the bar.

The Anchors are back on their travels next week when they make the trip to Bridlington Town.

Stockton Town: Popple, King, McWilliams, Portas, Hall, Coulthard, Hayes, Butterworth, Tymon (N.Mulligan 83), Thompson (Painter 68), Walker (Beddow 73)

Unused subs: D.Mulligan, Lewis McDonald

Grantham Town: Haystead, Tootle, Stacey, McCrory. Wright, Hall, Waldram, Dunn, O’Grady, Cocks (Hayes 62), Tyson (Durrell)

Unused subs: Jemson, Gadomski, Munns

Goals: 1-0, 53 min, Walker; 1-1, 76 min, McCrory.

Referee: David Pill

Attendance: 528

Photo: Harry Cook

Words: James Cartwright



Scroll to Top