Anchors hammer Nailers on final day

More second half heroics from Stockton Town saw them take down Belper Town four goals to nil.

Just the one change from last weekend saw Mikey Roberts replace Michael Sweet on the left-wing.

The Anchors started fired up in front of over 200 travelling supporters, and had their first attempt on goal within 30 seconds when Cameron Painter forced Daniel Moore to poke his long shot wide.

The travelling supporters thought Stockton had a lead after six minutes, but Mikey Roberts’ headed flick on bounced off the inside of the post and luckily into the hands of the goalkeeper.

Moore was called into action yet again in the 12th minute when Michael Fowler was played through on goal and the Belper shot-stopper was equal to Fowler’s strike.

Nathan Harker was called into action for the first time just before the break when he got low to gather a weak strike from Brodie Litchfield.

Half-time: Belper Town 0-0 Stockton Town

The Anchors best opportunity of the encounter came in the 53rd minute when some fantastic one-touch football led to Lewis King getting a left-footed shot off which again caused Daniel Moore to get low quickly and push it wide.

The deadlock was eventually broken in the 60th minute when captain Adam Nicholson met a perfect corner into the box and headed past Daniel Moore. 

The lead was doubled seven minutes later when Mikey Roberts pounced onto a ball through the middle and finished calmly into the bottom corner.

The Anchors were awarded a penalty only two moments later, which Kevin Hayes converted for his 20th goal of the season. 

The Anchors’ lead was further extended in the 78th minute in near replica fashion to the second goal, when Mikey Roberts was played through on goal and finished fantastically past a frozen Daniel Moore to secure all three points for Stockton.

Full-time: Belper Town 0-4 Stockton Town

Results elsewhere mean the Anchors end the season in second place, and will welcome Carlton Town to the MAP Group UK Stadium on Tuesday night, in a one-legged playoff semi-final. 

Belper Town: Moore, Burrows, Warren, Dunn, Frizelle, Atcha, Cadman (Goodson 64’), Austin, Bastos, Litchfield (Sutherill 72’), Oliver (Gregory 74’)

Unused Subs: Watt, Rhodes

Stockton Town: Harker, King, Coulthard, Nicholson, Baggs, Portas (Henry 73’), Painter, Hayes (Beddow 71’), Butterworth, Roberts, Fowler (Sweet 73’)

Unused Subs: McWilliams, D. Mulligan.

Goals: 0-1, Nicholson, 60 min; 0-2, Roberts, 67 min; 0-3, Hayes, 70 min; 0-4, Roberts, 78 min

Attendance: 867

Photo: Harry Cook

Words: Jordan Clarke

Scroll to Top