Anchors fall to defeat at Winterton

Stockton Town slumped to a bitterly disappointing defeat to basement club Winterton Rangers.

Adam Bartham’s second half strike was enough for all three points.

Manager Michael Dunwell named one change to the starting line-up as Shane Henry came in for Stephen Thompson.

The Anchors were limited to shots from outside the box in the early exchanges. Kev Hayes, Mikey Roberts and Tom Portas all fired over.

A big chance came when a cross from the right was headed on goal by Michael Sweet but Nathan Popple was there to make a big save with his feet.

From the resulting corner, Popple was forced into save when one of his own defenders turned the ball towards goal.

Popple was there again to thwart a Sweet strike on goal.

Shortly after the half hour mark, Winterton had their first shot when Jamie Ture struck over.

Half Time: Winterton Rangers 0-0 Stockton Town

Stockton had a succession of big chances early in the second half.

Glen Butterworth was left open in the box but he sliced his effort wide.

Then Hayes saw his shot parried by Popple before it rebounded out to Butterworth who struck over.

Elliott Beddow was brought on to stretch Winterton and he almost profited instantly but fired wide when he was played in behind.

Stockton were made to pay for the missed opportunities when neat play saw the ball worked out to the left where Bartham slotted home.

Winterton could have had second when the ball was given away to Ture and he found Paul Grimes but the veteran striker couldn’t find a shot on goal.

Stockton pushed for an equaliser but failed to produce any significant chances.

A low strike from Tom Portas at Popple was one of few.

In the end Winterton held out for a huge win for their slim survival hopes.

Full Time: Winterton Rangers 1-0 Stockton Town

Winterton Rangers: Popple, Aynsley, Bartham, Bryant, Moore, Ridley, Matthews, Cribb, Grimes (Clements 80′), Vincent (Williams 89′), Ture

Unused Subs: Ellender, Simpson, Barlow

Stockton Town: Harker, King, McWilliams, Portas, Nicholson, Coulthard, Hayes, Henry (Fowler 60′), Sweet (Painter 60′), Butterworth, Roberts (Beddow 56′)

Unused Subs: D.Mulligan, Baggs

Goals: 1-0, 59 min, Bartham

Attendance: 235

Photo: Harry Cook

Words: James Cartwright

Scroll to Top