Anchors earn hard fought draw at Dunston UTS

Stockton Town came from behind to earn a valuable point on their visit to Dunston UTS. 

Dale Pearson, signed in the week, opened the scoring for Dunston before the Anchors levelled shortly before half-time when Elliott Beddow’s effort was turned into his own net by Jon Shaw.

Michael Dunwell was forced into two changes from the team that beat Cleethorpes Town 2-0. Henry Popple and Kevin Hayes were both out due to an illness. That meant Lewis McDonald started in goal and Matty Tymon returned to the starting XI. Overall the Anchors were only able to name a match day squad of 14.

Inside six minutes, Stephen Thompson almost replicated his goal from last week when he spotted James Anderson off his line and tried to guide it over him but the ball drifted narrowly wide.

The Anchors had another chance when Liam Cooke got forward before he drilled a low effort which Anderson was equal to.

In the 22nd minute, Dunston had a flurry of chances which should have seen them ahead. First, from a corner, they struck the crossbar before Pearson fired over the bar.

Four minutes later, Dunston had another opportunity cleared off the line and then the rebounded effort sailed over the bar.

On the half hour mark, the hosts did take the lead when a mishap in the Stockton defence allowed Pearson through and he confidently converted past McDonald.

Stockton should have levelled ten minutes later but Anderson pulled off an unbelievable save to deny an effort from Thompson.

From the same play, Dunston defender Jude Swailes was injured and had to be replaced by Craig Scott.

The Anchors took advantage from the restart when a long ball over the top found Beddow who raced through. He had his original effort saved before firing in another that was diverted into his own net by Shaw.

Shortly after half-time, Pearson was once again in search of another goal but he had his effort well blocked by Adam Nicholson.

Stockton did have the ball in net through Matty Tymon just before the hour but it was ruled out due to a tight offside decision.

Dunston had a great chance when Will Jenkins was played through but he saw his effort denied by a tremendous save from McDonald.

In the 73rd minute, the Anchors were forced into a change when Nicholson went off injured. He was replaced by Dale Mulligan.

Both goalkeepers produced excellent saves back-to-back. First McDonald denied Pearson after he spun in the penalty area and got a shot away. Then Anderson tipped over an effort from substitute Cameron Painter.

Dunston could have won it late with a mazy run by Phil Turnbull which ended in him striking wide.

Stockton earned a fantastic point on the road. Next week it’s a return to the MAP Group UK Stadium to take on Grantham Town.

Dunston UTS: Anderson, Baxter, Galbraith, Turnbull, Swailes (Scott 45), Shaw, Jenkins, M.Pearson, D.Pearson, Thear (Eliott 59), Coulson (Djalo 90)

Unused subs: Staples, Jensen

Stockton Town: McDonald, King, McWilliams, Portas, Nicholson (D.Mulligan 72), Hall, Beddow, Butterworth, Tymon, Thompson (Painter 53), Cooke (N.Mulligan)

Goals: 1-0, 30 min, Pearson; 1-1, 45 min, Shaw OG

Referee: Kirk Freeth

Attendance: 280

Photo: Harry Cook

Words: James Cartwright


Scroll to Top