• First Team News
  • Match Reports

Stockton Town earn point at Bridlington Town

Ten-man Stockton Town stretched their unbeaten run to ten games following a hard fought draw at Bridlington Town.

Tom Coulthard gave the Anchors the lead before two goals either side of half time from Ali Aydemir put the home side ahead.

Michael Fowler equalised for Stockton before they were reduced to ten-men when Adam Nicholson received a second yellow card.

Stockton came in the game on the back of nine-straight wins after defeating Ossett United 3-0 last Saturday.

Tom Portas made his return to the squad after being out of action since September.

He was called up on instantly when he replaced Dan McWilliams who went off with an early injury. That forced Michael Dunwell’s hand and he put Cam Painter in at left back while Portas assumed his usual midfield role.

Just before the ten minute mark Stockton almost had the lead when a corner from Glen Butterworth was met by Nicholson but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

Stockton went close again when a cross from Lewis King was met by Butterworth but his header was well saved by James Hitchcock.

From the resulting corner the Anchors had the lead when Coulthard headed in from a Kev Hayes corner.

They almost doubled their lead moments later but Hitchcock managed to sprawl to deny a low shot from Fowler.

Shortly before half time, Bridlington equalised when Aydemir was played through by Lewis Dennison and he confidently converted past Callum Roberts.

Half Time: Bridlington Town 1-1 Stockton Town

The game was completely flipped moments into the second half when Aydemir was played through again and it was the same result as he put the Seasiders ahead.

Bridlington were buoyed by their lead and the came close again when Dennison was played through but his low shot was saved by Roberts.

Stockton searched for an equaliser and they came close when a corner was met Nicholson who headed wide.

The equaliser came minutes later when Hayes shot on goal was deflected into the path of Fowler who netted from close range.

It felt like it could go any way until Captain Nicholson was dismissed for a second yellow when he was adjudged to have brought down Dennison in full stride.

Despite the red card, Stockton showed intent and tried to force the issue as Hayes struck a near post effort wide.

Bridlington pushed to win the game but couldn’t conjure any genuine opportunities.

Full Time: Bridlington Town 2-2 Stockton Town

Bridlington Town: Hitchcock, Markham, Dixon, Davidson, Williamson, Bulless, Aydemir, Norfolk, Dennison, Barkworth, Brown (Sani 75′)

Unused subs: Algar, Milner, Southcoat, Stockhill

Stockton Town: C.Roberts, King, McWilliams (Portas 9′), Butterworth, Nicholson, Coulthard, Hayes, Painter, Fowler, Thompson (D.Mulligan 72′), M.Roberts (Sweet 76′)

Unused subs: Bulmer, Frampton

Goals: 0-1, 22 min, Coulthard; 1-1, 42 min, Aydemir; 2-1, 47 min, Aydemir; 2-2, 67 min, Fowler.

Attendance: 278

Words: James Cartwright

Photo: Harry Cook

Scroll to Top