Thornaby FC v Stockton Town FC

Under 16 
8th March 2015, 1:30pm
Thornaby FC
2 - 11
Stockton Town FC
HT: 2 - 5
Under 16

Match Report

Stockton travelled to Thornaby for what has traditionally been a tight fixture with both teams working hard. Stockton forced the game early on and came close  when Dylon Marshall laid the ball off for Luke Hallatt who saw his drilled shot go just wide of the post. The away side were soon in the lead when some great work by Liam Small set up Will Mackie who saw his shot palmed into the air by the keeper but Dylon Marshall was on hand to head home against his former club. To their credit Thornaby battled back and equalised when a long punt by the home keeper evaded the Stockton defenders and was slotted home. Dylon Marshall was in determined mood today and when he raced clear down the left wing his cross into the box found no one as they couldn’t keep up with his blistering pace. Stockton were soon back in the lead when Ethan Gage battled for possession and played a wonderful through ball to Will Mackie who in turn found Dylon Marshall on the edge of the box and he made no mistake rifling the ball into the bottom corner.  Thornaby once again went straight on the attack and might have equalised again but James Mahoney was on hand to make a last ditch tackle to concede a corner. From the Thornaby corner Stockton cleared and broke quickly with Luke Hallatt bearing down on goal before passing to Liam Small who fired over the crossbar. Stockton did add to the lead when Rhys Berryman took a quick throw in to Dylon Marshall who raced down the right wing before firing home, beating the keeper from an acute angle at the near post, to complete his hat-trick. The away side should have taken control of the game but Thornaby would not lay down and once again went straight down the other end to slot home. Thornaby could have been on level terms but Charlie Bradley in the Stockton goal was on hand to smother the ball. Stockton were dangerous going forward and showed their metal when Rhys Berryman brought the ball out of defence before releasing Dylon Marshall who didn’t give it a second thought racing clear and firing home his and the team’s fourth goal.  Just before half time Sam Dawson fired a free kick goalwards finding Ethan Gage who guided the ball into the box where Luke Hallatt was on hand to head the ball into the top corner.

Half Time: Thornaby 2-5 Stockton Town

The away side started the second half with great belief and had Thornaby on the back foot from the kick off. Rhys Berryman once again brought the ball out of defence exchanging passes with Sam Dawson before crossing the ball to Will Mackie who fired a shot straight at the keeper knocking the wind out of him. Will Mackie turned provider picking the ball up on the right wing before playing in Luke Hallatt who made no mistake slotting home his second of the day. Stockton were controlling the game now and went further ahead when Luke Hallatt played in Will Mackie who hammered the ball into the roof of the net. Charlie Bradley turned provider next feeding Luke Hallatt who lobbed the keeper but the defender got back on line but Dylon Marshall raced in to force the ball home. The goals kept coming and following good work from Jacob Selby finding Will Mackie on the left, the ball was switched to Sam Dawson who did well to fire home despite a nasty bobble on the pitch. The away side were winning the midfield battle and another pinpoint ball from Liam Small released Dylon Marshall to complete his double hat-trick. Stockton had a number of chances with James Mahoney and Sam Dawson both firing over the bar in quick succession. As the final whistle approached there was still time for Liam Small to drive into the box and set up Will Mackie to complete the scoring.

Full Time: Thornaby 2-11 Stockton Town.

A good performance from the lads who battled well and controlled large parts of the game to get another vital three points to keep them top of the table.

Man of the Match: Dylon Marshall