Stockton Town FC v Redcar Town

Under 16 
14th February 2015, 11:00am
Stockton Town FC
4 - 1
Redcar Town
HT: 1 - 1
Under 16

Match Report

Saturday fixture for the lads this week and back to league action. Stockton started  the game on the attack when Sam Dawson crossed for Dylon Marshall who flashed his header just over the crossbar. Redcar went straight up the other end and earned a penalty kick which was converted to give the away side the early lead. Redcar were in control and could have extended the lead when the attacker found himself unmarked on the edge of the box but he shot high and wide.It took a change of formation to give Stockton a foothold in the game with Ethan Gage and James Mahoney starting to control midfield exchanges. Stockton had a chance when James Mahoney and Jack Lacy exchanged passes before Mahoney was stopped in his tracks,resulting in a corner for the home side. Sam Dawson fired in the corner picking out Will Mackie at the back post who cushioned the ball down to Jack Lacy but his shot was well saved by the impressive away keeper. Will Mackie was involved in the next attack feeding Dylon Marshall who found Sam Dawson in the box but his shot was smothered by the keeper before rebounding off Dawson for a goal kick. Redcar might have extended their lead with good work down the right producing a cross which was headed just over the bar. Some dogged tackling from Ethan Gage in midfield allowed Dylon Marshall to drive forward before feeding Sam Dawson on the left who fired the ball hard and low across the box just out of reach of Will Mackie’s out stretched leg. Stockton for having success down the flanks and came close when James Mahoney and Will Mackie combined on the right before creating a chance for Jack Lacy who was foiled again by the Redcar keeper. Stockton got back on level terms when they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box which Sam Dawson fired over the wall and into the top right corner of the net. Stockton were starting get more control of the game and went close again when Liam Small launched a throw in into the box where James Mahoney controlled the ball with his head before shooting just wide of the mark. The home side went close again with great work from Will Mackie producing a fine cross to the back post but the away keeper got a punch on the ball to deny Liam Small a header.Just before half time Jack Lacy out worked the away defence to nick the ball and set up Dylon Marshall but once again the keeper made a fine save.

Half Time : Stockton Town 1-1 Redcar Town

Stockton upped the pace in the second half and were straight on the attack when Rhys Berryman picked out Will Mackie who played a one two with James Mahoney before racing into the box and pulling the ball back to Mahoney who saw his shot turned round the post by the keeper. The home side had a number of chances to grab the lead with Jack Lacy, Will Mackie and Dylon Marshall all going close. Against the run of play Redcar broke down the left and would have regained the lead had Charlie Bradley not bravely thrown himself at the feet of the attacker to smother the ball. Stockton were closing the ball much more effectively which was shown whenMarshall won the ball on the half way line and raced into the box only to see his shot drift agonisingly past the post. The under 16’s hard work paid off when James Mahoney won the ball in midfield and combined with Dylon Marshall to find Sam Dawson on the left wing he crossed the ball into the box where Will Mackie got across the front of the defender to guide the ball home. Straight from the kick off Stockton went on the attack and when the ball broke to Jacob Selby he made no mistake hammering the ball into the bottom corner for his first goal of the season. There was a break in play when Jack Lacy fell awkwardly resulting in him being carried off and ending the day with his leg in a pot, we all wish him a speedy recovery. The game restarted and Stockton made the points secure when Sam Dawson picked the ball up on the edge of the box and cooly guided it wide of the keeper to grab his second of the game. To their credit Redcar didn’t stop battling and might have pulled one back when the attacker raced clear but his shot came back off the cross bar. With 15 minutes left Stockton welcomed back Elliott Porteous who had been out with a knee injury for two years. Porteous was straight into the action winning the ball on the edge of the box and playing in Sam Dawson who saw his shot tipped round the post.

Full Time: Stockton Town 4-1 Redcar Town

A hard fought victory for the lads who battled well in the second half to secure the points and keep up the pressure on the teams above them in the Division.

Man of the Match : Ethan Gage