Stockton Town FC v Coulby Newham

Under 16 
8th February 2015, 1:30pm
Stockton Town FC
4 - 3
Coulby Newham
Under 16

Match Report

The under 16’s were looking to get back to winning ways against a tough organised Coulby Newham side.  Stockton started strongly and had their opponents on the back foot from the off.  The home side pressure forced a corner taken by Sam Dawson and headed on by Jack Lacy to Dylon Marshall who hammered the ball into the roof of the net. Stockton continued their great start to the game and might have gone further ahead when Sam Dawson crossed to Jack Lacy who saw his shot well saved by the away keeper but the ball rebounded to Luke Hallatt who narrowly fired over the crossbar.  Stockton were dominating the play and came close when Sam Dawson launched the ball to the right wing finding Will Mackie who in turn picked out Jack Lacy. He set up Jacob Selby who hit a piledriver just wide of the mark. Dylon Marhall worked his socks off forcing the home defence into mistakes with his efforts. Stockton had chance after chance and came close again when Will Mackie crossed the ball into the box which was cleared to the edge of the box where Jack Massey hit a shot which was well saved by the Coulby keeper.  Ethan Gage  worked tirelessly all game long and it was he who created the next chance winning the ball in the midfield area and playing the ball to Dylon Marshall who powered through the away defence before playing in Jack Lacy, but he was foiled by a great last ditch tackle from the Coulby centre half. The resulting corner was played to Jack Lacy who controlled the ball with his chest before hitting a stunning volley just wide of the left post. The home side kept up the pressure and came close to adding to their lead when Liam Small collected the ball on the edge of his own box and played it to Sam Dawson who played a one two with Luke Hallatt before smashing a shot against the post.  Against the run of play, Coulby won a corner which was played into the six yard box where the ball was scrambled home to level the scores. As halftime approached Coulby won another corner which was played in and headed against the Stockton crossbar. For all their hard work Stockton were happy to see halftime and a chance to regroup.

Half Time: Stockton Town 1-1 Coulby Newham

Stockton started the second half positively with Jack Daniel combining well with Sam Dawson down the right looping the ball into the box where Jack Lacy was unlucky not to slide the ball home. Coulby Newham were starting to get a foothold in the game and Jack Daniel was forced to make two last ditch tackles in quick succession. Coulby took the lead from a corner which looped to the centre and flash in off the thigh of a Stockton defender.  Stockton lost a bit of composure and had a let off when the Coulby attacker blasted over the bar. The away side put themselves in control of the game when the attacker raced clear and slotted the ball past the advancing Stockton keeper. To Stockton’s credit they knuckled down and managed to force a free kick on the right which saw Sam Dawson fire a shot at goal which the keeper couldn’t hold and Liam Small was on hand to knock the ball home.  Coulby Newham almost added to their lead but Charlie Bradley and Jack Daniel combined well to foil their attack. The home side were now in the ascendancy forcing their opponents backwards at every opportunity and some great work by  James Mahoney down the right set up Jack Lacy who had his effort well saved. Mahoney and Lacy lined up once again down the right and managed to force another corner. Sam Dawson put the corner right under the crossbar which the keeper palmed away but Luke Hallatt was on hand to bundle home a well deserved equaliser. The home side had the bit between their teeth and with two minutes left they won a free kick on the right wing. Sam Dawson’s delivery was once again perfect putting the Coulby keeper under pressure and when he fumbled the ball Liam Small kept his cool to grab the winner.

Full Time: Stockton Town 4-3 Coulby Newham.

A tough game for the under 16’s who had to battle hard to get the result their endeavours deserved. This could turn out to be  a crucial three points for the lads. They showed true character today to keep going and come back from two goals down and grab the victory.

Man of the Match : Dylon Marshall